Family

Family

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Bump in the road to recovery

     Yes, it is early. I woke up at 3:30 a.m. thinking about Randy.  Finially decided to blog a post about him. Yesterday he had what I shall call a bump in the road to recovery.  He spiked a fever.  His heart rate and blood pressure went up.  They called the Dr and he ordered a chest x ray, blood work, urine sample, etc  to see where the infection is coming from.  He has so many tubes coming out of him to help him, but that also makes pathways for infection to enter.  Bless our skins defense in our everyday lives.  They also started him on IV antibiotics.  He is totally unresponsive 99.9% of the day.
    I am with him every day but I sure miss him.  All I can say is he is a really good listener at this point in his life.  So you may be wondering what I do all day long while I sit up at the hospital.  I will talk to him and tell him the family news every day. I watch his vital signs and tubes and let the nurses or respiratory therapists know if there is a problem.  I help the PT do his exercises, I help turn, clean and position him. I listen to all the beeps and alarms and if they make an unusual sound I let them know about it.  I crochet baby nursery hats, visit with Randy's mom, and  play ocean sounds and music Randy likes to listen to. I like to visit with all the people that take care of Randy.  There are some amazing nurses, therapists, support people up there.  They have interesting stories and lives and I can say I will miss them when they move him.  He has been there so long that I see the ICU fill up and empty out and Randy has been there the longest. It's too bad they don't get to know him, because he is an awesome guy and I know that they would love him as we all do.
    Keep him in your prayers.  They really help me to hang on.  Maybe this next fast Sunday when you pray could you ask specifically that he would be able to respond enough to us so we would know how to help him better. It's hard to help someone when you have no idea what they are feeling.  Kinda like a baby can't tell you, but worse because at least they can cry.  Thanks, we love you all.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for everything u are going through! he's in all our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful companion. He will be in our fast this sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for helping us know more specifically what to pray for. We are ever mindful of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete